On 11/25/2011 01:11 PM, Eric Keller wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 7:51 AM, andy pugh<bodge...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 25 November 2011 10:51, Peter Blodow<p.blo...@dreki.de>  wrote:
>>> Andy, you hit me severely there. My respect to all developers and
>>> programmers of EMC, but I am sure there is a large silent majority of
>>> EMC users who participate without writing to the list, just reading and
>>> enjoying.
>>
>> Indeed, my point is that those are the people who we should consider
>> when choosing an OS to base the LiveCD on.
>>
>> I have been a fairly hardcore user of Linux, RTAI, realtime linux, and for
> that matter emc from back in the old source tarball days.  My preference is
> to continue using Ubuntu for the livecd unless there is a real crisis.  As
> Andy says, it's not that hard to install emc2 on another machine if you are
> moderately skilled at using Linux.  I have really gotten used to apt-get
> installs, and I hate building from source.  Even the most minimal source
> build seems to require ridiculous dependency hassles that just aren't worth
> it to me any more.  Unless you get the source package from a distribution,
> of course.
> Eric

I don't believe the goal is to make anything harder, or to go away from
the debian packaging system (apt-get etc).  I think the problem is that
the newest version of Gnome (v3) is more bloated and less usable than ever.

   Xubuntu is a complete Ubuntu system but it uses XFCE for the desktop
instead of Gnome.  Lubuntu is Ubuntu with LXDE.  Both of these require a
lot less system resources than Gnome or KDE, but are fully functional
and nice enough looking.

   And of course Debian is what Ubuntu is based on but it tends to be
more stable.  It has not historically had as good hardware and media
format support out of the box as Ubuntu partly due to a more strict
adherence to an open-source-only policy.  That may have changed a little
now, but I don't know since I haven't used it much for a while.

Moses