Kent, Rainer;

WebGL does only about 5% of what the X3D spec does; mind you, for most users,
that is the most important 5%.

;-)

As someone who presented X3DOM to the HTML5 Technical Committee on behalf of
Dr. Johannes Behr; I think that his approach is a good one.

WebGL has its issues; and some big ones at that. But, if they can somehow give
it longevity, cross platform compatibility, speed, and keep it focused on some
core functionality, it'll do well.

I would not keep models in a WebGL format; keep them in, say, STL, and that way
you'll be able to re-render them in a few years, should you wish to. (X3D would
work, too, as it is an ISO standard; warts and all)

JohnS.