On Friday, December 30, 2011 01:42:36 PM Ed Nisley did opine:

> On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 21:14 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > pointers to the articles
>
> That was a series on transformers & triac triggering, with a resistance
> soldering setup as the McGuffin. CC doesn't put articles online (if you
> know where to look, go for April/June/August 2008), but I put up some
> notes a while ago; start at the first post and rummage through the next
> few days:
>
> http://softsolder.com/2010/09/07/resistance-soldering-gizmo-overview/
>
> The transformer notes, complete with a B-H curve, may be most useful:
>
> http://softsolder.com/2010/09/08/resistance-soldering-transformer/
>
> The triac trigger circuitry was *insanely* complex, because I wanted to
> show what happens during four-quadrant triggering with sub-cycle
> control. In real life, you'd just fire a triac driver for the entire
> heating pulse and be done with it.
>
> A while back, Eks forced me to take his homebrew water-cooled pulser
> built around a stack of hockey-puck transistors that he'd been using for
> EDM. All I need is a bulk supply behind the thing, a bit of Z axis
> control, and I could sink dies with the best of 'em... [sigh]

Chuckle, thanks for copying the mail Ed.  But that last one will need some
very good earmuffs, 30db or better if you intend to be in the same building
with it.  Of course I had a whole 10" circular saw blade on the table,
which predictably rang like the bells hell most likely uses for an escape
alarm bell.  I also was using too big a cap (10 mics, 600 volt, its what
was on the shelf for spares for a 55 yo GE transmitter & I wasn't being too
fussy about whose junkbox shelf I was raiding given that transmitters
limited 45 day future in mid-May of 2008)  :)

Cheers, Gene
Real programmers don't bring brown-bag lunches.  If the vending machine
doesn't sell it, they don't eat it.  Vending machines don't sell quiche.