On Thursday, January 05, 2012 04:08:54 PM Kent A. Reed did opine:

> On 1/5/2012 12:14 PM, Dave wrote:

> >> Gentle persons:
> >>
> >> Watercooling is the cats meow in high-end gaming systems. My local
> >> Microcenter has a whole aisle devoted to aftermarket add-ons like
> >> pumps, heat exchangers, tubing in disco colors, etc., (with or
> >> without the attendant lowrider lighting!).
> >>
> >> Apart from our natural conservatism, is there any reason y'all with
> >> big systems aren't watercooling within a sealed box, piping the heat
> >> to an external radiator?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Kent
> >
> > It really isn't just a CPU cooling issue.  Usually the entire
> > enclosure needs to be cooled.  The cheap industrial way to cool a
> > cabinet is to use a Exair type vortex compressed air powered cooler.
> > They are relatively cheap, and bulletproof, but they eat a lot of
> > compressed air. But if you have a lot of compressed air available,
> > then that can be a good solution.
>
> I wasn't thinking just in terms of CPU cooling, Dave. With the parts
> available, one can rig up almost anything, which has always been a theme
> of this forum. Sure the shrink-wrapped retail components are expensive,
> but that's because it's being sold to folks with more money than sense
> (I've seen guys drop $5K on a custom gaming system). It can be done more
> cheaply.
>
> The point for me was, you folks were talking about problems cooling a
> box in a dirty environment. To me that says use heat exchangers. If you
> don't like liquid-to-air heat exchange, use air-to-air heat exchange.
>
>  From the days I started building experimental lab equipment, my
> personal choice always has been to try not to generate more heat than I
> can conduct away to ambient. These days the drive toward ubiquitous
> mobile devices is solving the problem on the computer side but it's
> still an issue on the motor-drive side.
>
> Regards,
> Kent

And likely to remain so unless somebody comes up with a whole new
technology whose switching losses are 10% of what we have today. In my
case, 28 volt supply, times 2.37 amps=66 watts circulating between the
driver and motor.  I'd estimate the motor is converting 40 watts of that to
heat from i2r losses while the driver is using 20 in switching time losses
with the other 6 watts being wasted in the semiconductors on resistances,
commonly down in the milliohm range these days.  There probably is not a
heck of a lot we can do about the motors eddy current and i2r losses and
that is today, the almost veto proof majority.  Even better iron could
help, but could we then afford the motor?  Good question IMO.

Cheers, Gene
New York now leads the world's great cities in the number of people around
whom you shouldn't make a sudden move.
                -- David Letterman