Plenty---most commercial 'stepper motor contollers' are designed to be
driven by serial commands, because that's easier to integrate in the
industrial world. Galil, Oregon Micro are two that we used, but  Google has
over 7 million hits for "stepper motor controller serial port".

Such controllers are usually more expensive: serial port implies passing
high-level motion commands, with trajectory profiles calculated by the
controller, etc. This is in contrast to the step-direction interface used
by cheap controllers/drivers.