Andy thanks for your explaination about the 8i20 card. So, this card used
with LinuxCNC and hostmot2 will work well to drive a servo for accurate
positioning. Right?

I saw that you wrote the difference between an AC brushless and DC brushed
motor if I'm not wrong. But the main doubt that I have is the difference
between AC brushless and DC brushless motors. Sorry If I read your message
wrongly.

El 22 de enero de 2012 20:27, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> escribió:

> On 22 January 2012 23:20, Leonardo Marsaglia
> <leonardomarsagli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm curious about the 8i20 card. Does this card handle the PID
> > calculations?
>
> That card does hardly any calculations at all. It takes current and
> phase angle information from EMC2/linuxCNC via a serial link.
> The current command will come from a PID component running in
> LinuxCNC, and the angle information comes from another HAL component
> which takes data from hall sensors, encoders or resolvers on the
> motor.
>
> > By the way, this card is intended for AC brushless motors. I'm not an
> > expert on the subject, so I need to ask. What's the main  difference
> > between an AC brusless and a DC brushless motor. Do the coils change? The
> > control method?.
>
> Both. The main difference (apart from the lack of brushes) is that an
> AC brushless is a 3-phase machine so needs 3 power wires, and a
> brished servo is DC with only 2 power wires. You need very different
> drives.
>
> --
> atp
> The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply,
> wrong.

*Leonardo Marsaglia*.