On 1/24/2012 4:52 PM, John Prentice wrote:
> On one hand I think it is unusual CNC behaviour in threading (so
> possible difficulties for CAM users without a special postprocessor).
John:

Since I haven't had the pleasure of using serious CAM software I don't
have first-hand experience with their postprocessors, but my inclination
is to say, sure, a LinuxCNC-flavored postprocessor is required if one
wants to stray off the RS274D reservation (I wish I knew enough about
ISO 6983 and DIN 66025 to know if they can be mentioned in the same breath).

There was the NCMS project to define the Next Generation Controller that
developed the variant called RS274/NGC and there was the NIST project to
implement this variant, one result of which was Tom Kramer's G-code
interpreter. As I understand it, adjustments had to be made where the
NGC publications were ambiguous so the G-code definitions in Tom's paper
were already a dialect of a variant and since then we've added
to/modified the language some more as LinuxCNC evolved.

It may be annoying to know LinuxCNC works best with G-code programs
tailored to it, but isn't this true also for other controllers? I looked
up Haas Lathe on the BobCAM site and found a bunch of different
post-processor variations (Haas-HL, Haas-SL, Haas-TL, etc.) some with up
to 6 released versions. BobCAM lists 35 makes of lathe controller
(including "generic"). Yikes.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
Kent