On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 19:26 +0200, Andrew wrote:
... snip
> 2. The friend's machine has 7 servos (including 3 spindles) in step/dir
> mode, and RS422 is preferred for higher input frequency. Which RS422
> daughter cards for 5i20 (or other FPGA) are supported with hardware?
... snip

What servo drivers does he have? If the drivers have the option, it
might be better to use a torque or velocity input.

RS422 is a standard that describes handling a signal through a pair of
wires. Generally, I believe any digital input could be made to handle
RS422 by adding a RS422 receiver chip. How many pairs of wires come from
the encoders?

For step/dir drivers, the encoders are wired to the driver, and
optionally, the CNC controller. If you use the driver torque or velocity
inputs, the encoders are wired just to LinuxCNC.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html