Hi Chris;

I think I may have it grokked as to why it wasn't working yesterday.

I wasn't giving the G38.2 a z value that would have gone more than a thou
past the expected contact detection based on my fear of damaging the gage I
had just made, and my thoughts on this overnight came to the conclusion
that if it was already IN the decel ramp to stop, and the contact was
triggered in that time frame, the contact was missed because it was already
doing the stop.  At that speed (F0.5), a deadband so to speak of maybe 2
thou max, and growing with the commanded F passed I'd assume.  When I gave
it another thou to search in is when it started working.

Is this making any sense?

The gage can in fact absorb as much as 30 thou of over travel by a blunt
object although sharp tools would be another matter, it is a piece of .068"
thick dbl-sided pcb material, with 2 9/32 holes fitted with rubber
grommets, on 1.35" centers, with the target contact point centered between
the pair of 4-40 bolts thru the grommets, so the pcb could flex downward
quite a bit if it had to, both from its own flexibility and perhaps a small
crushing of the grommets.

Cheers, Gene
Drunks are rarely amusing unless they know some good songs and lose a
lot a poker.
                -- Karyl Roosevelt