On Jan 31, 2012, at 2:00 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> The crosspost didn't work apparently, came from the wrong email account I
> suppose.
>
> Anyway, the answer is 'taskset' see the manpage.
>
> So I wrote a 3 line script to use taskset to launch emc AND pin it to the
> 2nd cpu core.  Runs sweet & likely 50% faster than I ever ran before once I
> get done fine tuning the base_thread time in the .ini file.  32 u-secs is
> only using 26% of that core, so there is room to play yet.
>
> The script:
> --------------
> #!/bin/bash
> taskset 0x00000002 /usr/bin/emc -l &
> exit 0
> --------------
>
> Note the manpage explains that the 2nd argument above very obtusely.  cpu0
> would be 0x00000001, cpu2 then would be 0x00000004, cpu3 is then
> 0x00000008.  etc etc.  Bit wise control starting from the ls bit IOW.  And
> if the cores are available, you can set it to use 2 or more.

I have a dual core D510MO board.  I put the rtai kernel on the first core using
the instructions here:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?The_Isolcpus_Boot_Parameter_And_GRUB2

In activity monitor it looks like nothing is happening at all on the second
core.  So, are you saying using taskset you are putting your other processes on
the other core?  Our machine is quite slow after doing the isolcpus fix, even
when not running Axis.  Web pages or any other tasks take many seconds to
launch.   So if you want other tasks to run there do you have to launch each
with a script like this?

Tom