Erik Friesen wrote:
> I don't care about an analog measurement, I want the system to pause or
> park when amps are outside of a set range.  How would you do the first
> scenario?

Does your spindle drive provide an overcurrent signal?  If it is a
contact that opens on
fault, you can just wire it in series with the E-stop chain.  Or, to be
a little more
gentle, you could connect it to another digital input and connect that
in HAL to
the feed-hold input.  That might burn your workpiece unless the
overcurrent condition
also shuts down the spindle.

HAL allows you to do a wide range of special things with just a couple
commands
in the configs files.

A vacuum switch could also be rigged in the same way.

Jon