Gentle persons:

Eric said of my recent bout of pneumonia, "[A]nd the antibiotics leave
you like a wrung-out dishrag too, ISTR."

Truer words were never spoken.

While lazing about, I visited www.camzone.org for the first time. As I
understand it, the site was created by and most of the blog entries are
written by a person named Daniel who would seem to be German and living
in Brazil (but maybe I was just too wrung out when I visited the site).
I like the way Daniel thinks, the way he writes, and the topics he
chooses to write about. His blog entry "Why PLM is killing the
innovation in CAD/CAM" made me wish I'd known him while I was still
working. The entry on Component Technology should be required background
reading for all of us.

I was induced to compose this email by his blog entry "Post-processors
--- What you should know about them." I commend it to you.

My question is, how much of the total (choose your favorite spec
here---RS274D, RS274X, RS274/NGC, LinuxCNC) capability do these
commercial post-processors span?

A first step in answering this question would be to tabulate all the
codes that can possibly be emitted by specific post-processors. I tried
searching the web but couldn't find any tabulation more specific than
http://www.enotes.com/topic/G-code which speaks of "Fanuc and similarly
designed controls" and is pretty schematic. I looked at the websites of
several CAM programs and see they typically claim to support a number
CNC controller dialects in their post-processors, but that is the color
of a different horse.

And, yes, I own a copy of the Machinery's Handbook and a copy of Smid's
CNC Programming Handbook should be in my hands soon.

In my experience with neutral-format data exchange standards in the CAD
world, the variations in the capabilities of various CAD systems led to
standards with large scopes. Despite the resulting smorgasbord of
capabilities, the post-processor writers tended to stick to a relatively
small number of entities within those scopes. We achieved very good
interoperability over a relatively limited span of the total capability
supported by the standards.

Of course, in the world of CAD, many of the data exchanges occur between
CAD systems, so the pre- and post-processor writers face a different
problem that in our world where we are most concerned about moving data
between some CAM system and some CNC controller. Still, I suspect the
CAM post-processor writers also work with a relatively small number of
entities (e.g., G-Codes).

At the outset, it seems likely that our O-codes are completely outside
the ken of post-processor writers, but that's just one aspect.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Kent