On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Curtis Dutton wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:26:53 -0500
> From: Curtis Dutton <curtd...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Mesa 5i25 with "Generic" stepper board
>
> I'll report back with what I learn.
>
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Stephen Dubovsky <smdubov...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Curt,
>> If you could take notes, I'll be in a similar boat soon.  I just got my
>> 5i25 from mesa and am just waiting to pickup a spare computer from a friend
>> to play with it.  I don't want to run emc2.5 on the "working machine" yet.
>> If I can get it working I'll put them in all 3 PCs.  I bought a 7i76 to
>> play with too to get started (since it sounds like that is directly
>> supported by pncconf), but two of the machines don't need it.
>>
>> Stephen
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Curtis Dutton <curtd...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I recently received my new 5i25 card. I'm using it to replace software
>>> stepping on a 3 Axis machine.
>>>
>>> It is very basic,
>>>
>>> 3 stepper drivers.
>>> 1 probe in port.
>>> 3 sets of limit/home switches where each set is shared for an axis and
>> the
>>> limit switches are used for homing as well.
>>>

>>> I elected to use the "prob_rfx2" firmware version which is meant for the
>>> "generic" breakout board.
>>>
>>> The idea was to install the 5i25, hook my parallel cable from the printer
>>> port into the 5i25 and set up a new emc2 config.
>>>

>>> I'm a bit shaky on how to configure this as I just started studying it
>> last
>>> night, however it appears to me that if I created a "prob_rfx2.xml" file,
>>> that I could utilize
>>> pncconf to build my emc2 configuration.
>>>
>>> I have the prob_rfx2.pin file that describes all of the pins that the
>>> firmware defines.
>>>

>>> Am I on the right track here? Also are there any references or tips that
>>> anyone is aware of to help me along?
>>>
>>> I'm linux savvy and a programmer, so any work that could be reusable I'd
>>> like to share and provide for others that may follow down this path.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Curt

The hm2 sample stepper config should be pretty close. Copy an existing say
5I20.ini file to 5i25-probx.ini or some such, replace the BOARD with 5I25,
delete the firmware string on the loadrt hm2 line and you should be pretty
close. The hm2-stepper file may need some changes as well for any GPIO may not
make sense with the 5I25 config

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics