On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:09:09 PM Ed Nisley did opine:

> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:04 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > And that man page is as obtuse as any I've seen.
>
> Rather than hammering that out by hand, use the remote desktop built
> right into Ubuntu?
>
> On the Ubuntu machine attached to the mill, clicky:
>
> System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop
>
> Then select:
>
> Allow other users to view your desktop
> Allow other users to control your desktop
>
> Set up the Security section to suit your paranoia.
>
> On the Ubuntu machine attached to your Comfy Chair, clicky:

No ubuntu machine anywhere near the 'Comfy Chair' Ed.  PClos on this quad
core phenom.  Running a newer kernel than the LTS, using the bfs scheduler.
Its noticably a snappier desktop than the same kernel using the cfs
scheduler.

> Applications -> Internet -> Remote Desktop Viewer
>
> It'll show you a list of what's available on your network, which should
> include the milling machine. Clicky to select, feed in a password if you
> set it up that way, blow that window up to full screen, and you're
> there...
>
> Works for me, anyhow. I do pretty nearly all the setup & fiddling from
> the Comfy Chair for both the Sherline & Thing-O-Matic, then drop down to
> the Basement Lab to actually start building things.
>
> Not quite so manly as mud-wrestling with X, but ...

Chuckle.  I did go check, linuxcnc runs just fine from its own keyboard,
but not from an ssh login.  This all works tikitti-boo on the mills box.

Cheers, Gene
"I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens."
-- Woody Allen