On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Kirk Wallace wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:13:53 -0700
> From: Kirk Wallace <kwall...@wallacecompany.com>
> To: LinuxCNC Users List <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] Smart Serial and 3c20
>
> In trying to get an understanding of Smart Serial I came across the
> intro for the Mesa 3c20 driver. It states:
> " ...
> The 3C20 host interface is a RS-422 or RS-485 serial port that supports
> baud rates up to 1.84 MBaud. Efficient dual FIFO buffered interface
> allows real time and queued commands to proceed simultaneously. The
> buffered synchronous design of the host interface allows almost any
> parameter to be changed during motion.
>
> ... "
>
> Is the 3c20 Smart Serial real-time enough for coordinated axes control?
> Is Smart Serial a common standard? Are there links on it I could check
> out? Thanks.

No, its just our simple real time way to expand FPGA I/O. It uses 2.5 or 10
MBaud full duplex RS-422 communications and a very simple binary register
access protocol LBP. The FPGA has a smart serial port that handles protocol
timing and error checking so the HAL driver normally just sees the external
data as packed bits in parallel registers. On top of this is device discovery
which allows the driver to access the parameter records on the remote device
so it knows how to name, pack, scale and unpack the parallel register data

3C20 is not a sserial device, but for example the 8I20 is and can function as
a serially connected servo drive (torque control loop rates up to 5KHz are
easily doable)

> --
> Kirk Wallace
> http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/