The row of white rollers appear to have been an attempt at making a set
of straightening rollers. In the start of the video they even label them
straightening rolls

http://www.howarequipment.com/images/products/wire_tooling/wire_straighteners/wire_straightener_sf_type_full.jpg

dang I've already deleted the link and can't go look again... oh wait
the browser history.

I'm not following what you mean by the semi-floating carriage?

John