On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 19:29 +0200, Roland Jollivet wrote:
> The thing is, what do you do with these parts?

Some examples of stuff I've designed & build & used...

A case for a GPS+voice amateur radio circuit:
http://softsolder.com/2012/04/13/wouxun-kg-uv3d-gps-interface-functional-case/

Adapter to hold a camera on a microscope, a macro lens holder for that
camera, plus an LED ring illuminator for the microscope:
http://softsolder.com/2011/11/14/canon-sx230hs-microscope-and-close-up-macro-adapters/
http://softsolder.com/2011/04/11/microscope-led-ring-illuminator/

Caliper repair part (no finishing required!):
http://softsolder.com/2011/05/27/thing-o-matic-caliper-repair-perfection/

Bike helmet mirror mount (ugly, but better than commercial units):
http://softsolder.com/2011/07/01/helmet-mirror-mount-first-light/
http://softsolder.com/2011/06/29/helmet-mirror-mount-solid-model/

Blinky light mount for my recumbent:
http://softsolder.com/2012/01/03/planet-bike-superflash-tour-easy-mount/

Cookie cutter:
http://softsolder.com/2011/09/07/tux-cookie-cutter/

Fuzz blocker for a Kindle Fire:
http://softsolder.com/2012/04/10/kindle-fire-power-button-protector/

Simple stepper motor mount:
http://softsolder.com/2011/08/23/nema-17-stepper-motor-mount/

And, of course, improve the 3D printer:
http://softsolder.com/2011/04/20/thing-o-matic-x-axis-rod-follower-installed/

Beyond their hand-knitted appearance, the parts are entirely serviceable
for most of the things I do. Of course, that may just mean I do simple
things that don't involve a lot of stress on either the operator or the
user. [grin]

Now, admittedly, those parts emerged after the better part of half a
year of rebuilding to persuade my Thing-O-Matic to work the way they
claimed it would. That's a whole 'nother story...

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com