On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Roland Jollivet
<roland.jolli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you mind saying what you are printing, and if you feel the printing is a
> worthwhile exercise? I've been looking at different printers for months,
> but they only seem to be able to produce junk. Cnc'ing it out of a block of
> plastic looks far more effective.

The 3D printer situation today reminds me of the old times when I
first ran into phototypesetters, in the early eighties. They used thin
shiny paper that curled from looking at it, stuck together, and
smelled funny. The quality left to be desired; the output looked
somehow like this:

http://dpnow.com/vintage/Features/Printer_reviews/Canon_s900/Test_results1/Quality1/text1/epson_870_normal.jpg

But, you could write your text and math in TeX and typeset it into a
correct form that, if you squinted a little, looked just as good as
professional books.  And you could do it over and over, whenever you
needed it.

Just have patience and see if you can use the 3D technology today in
spite of its current imperfections.

By the way, I would like to try two tricks with 3D printing:

- inserts: e.g. if you need a tight tolerance or high strength, insert
a brass bushing half way into a part being formed
- post-processing, i.e. CNC the precision part out of a rough 3D
printed shape, just like machining a casting.

It should beat CNCing billets, no?