On Saturday, June 02, 2012 08:56:07 PM dave did opine:

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 15:31:03 -0400
>
> Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com> wrote:
> > On 6/2/2012 2:22 PM, Joseph Chiu wrote:
> > > but being kids who don't know any better, they just
> > > accepted the 3D printout as a normal occurance -- like warming up
> > > breakfast sausages in the microwave!:)
> >
> > but being kids who don't know any better, they just
> > accepted the 3D printout as a normal occurance -- like warming up
> > breakfast sausages in the microwave!:)
> > <<
> >
> > Oh yes.  I was with my younger daughter last weekend and it was sunny
> > and I pulled out my phone to check the time.  Due to older eyes, I
> > couldn't see the clock display on my phone. My daughter grabbed the
> > phone to read off the clock and said "what is this??"  "OK.. I see it
> > but how do I read that??"  My clock was showing in analog mode - face
> > and hands, etc, which she never uses.  :-/  Dad.. this is the
> > "digital" age!   My argument - it takes less space on the screen!
>
> The school my wife teaches at still has analog clocks on the wall;
> supposedly all synchronized. Besides try explaining clockwise and
> counterclockwise in digital.
>
> Assuming you have something like an iPhone you need an app that talks
> to you. Something like "WWVB Natl, Bureau of Standards, when the tone
> returns the time will be "    " UT, etc.
>
> Or it could report the time in 24 hr format with beeps. ;-)
>
> Many years ago I walked into the standards lab and WSU and Dick Harbour
> was shaking his head ... with a slight grin on his face. The HP clock
> synced to WWVB with a Montronics 60 KHz receiver had shown 1e-11
> deviation over the last 24 hours. :-)  Not too bad. Maybe wimpy by
> todays standards but not bad for the time....approx ~ 50 years ago.
>
> Dave

That is about rhubidium standard accuracy, which didn't need the WWVB
synch.  But they were about $20k 50 years ago as color was just coming on
board in tv.  We used to be proud of saying our color subcarrier frequency
was 3.57954545454545454545454545 megahertz until you ran out of wind to say
the 45.  Actually there was about 12 digits that were good but it started
to get a little fuzzy after that.  ;-)  I think you can buy a serviceable
one for about $1000 now.

Cheers, Gene
The church saves sinners, but science seeks to stop their manufacture.
                -- Elbert Hubbard