Hi all,

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 11:24:16 -0400 gene heskett wrote

> As to being able to retrofit a good governor to a fleabay generator, I've
> no clue how co-operative the makers are when the unit is getting long in
> the tooth as I've never needed to try.  Today, I'd be inclined to make it
> out of a UPS running one of those atom boards, running linuxcnc, driving a
> stepper attached to the throttle, probably at 5% of the cost of buying the
> makers stuff.  The encoder watching a phase, the PID module doing the
> controls through a stepgen module, sure seems like the avenue to take to
> me.  If a 60 hz crystal clock can be sourced, one could even phase lock to
> that.

When I was in television we were pestered by the "Barber Coleman" salesmen
seeking sell an upgrade package for whatever standby powerplants were being
used.

System worked by a hall effect device running on the starter motor ring gear
producing a square wave input for the controller. Output was a solenoid type
device to the throttle.

Response was tweakable fast/ poor waveform, slow but good waveform.

They didn't get very far as the standby units were being upgraded/ replaced
with higher capacity units with same controller.

--
Regards,
David