I just made another discovery.  There apparently is not a following error
stopper while G76 is running.

Cutting all air, and after slowing the Z accel and maxvel to 75% of what I
was using 3 days ago, I found that my Z can make a bit over 21" without any
following errors regardless of what jig I dance on the jog keys.  That is
about a 30% improvement in the rapids that could possibly be expanded to 35
or 40%.

Then I loaded up that 4mm x.7mm metric thread cutter routine and reset the
spindle from 200 to 700.  No problems cutting air.  So I crept on up with
the spindle override slider until at about 770 revs, the forward cut was
the same speed as the retrace, 533 mm according to the display.  Knowing Z
was tapped out I was expecting a following error, but I went on up to about
1000 rpms, and despite Z being limited by its maxvel, it kept on trucking,
which of course would have wrecked the thread in progress.

Not that I will ever do that on purpose, so to me it is a shrug, but I
thought maybe I should mention it.  This would be a special case since X
really should be pulled for clearance while the spindle is winding down if
the following error were to be asserted, then it might be that the part
could be saved.

Cheers, Gene
Wherever you go...There you are.
- Buckaroo Banzai