Matt Shaver wrote:

> I spoke with Brian Barker at the CNC Workshop and I
> think he said that the Mac & Linux versions would use external pulse
> generators like the SmoothStepper _only_, at least initially. Perhaps
> they'll go back and port their parallel port step generator module
> later.

I have never heard any discussion of adding parallel port to Linux. In
these days when everyone is worried about the end of the parallel port
it would seem foolish to try. There are now abut a dozen hardware motion
controllers supported on mach, with more in the works.

Jon Elson wrote:
> Hmmm, much of my criticism lately is the screenset thing.  It seems all
> anyone seems to
> be talking about is creating screensets for Mach, rather than cutting
> parts.

Screensets offer a great capability to hide details from users. Just two
examples I am aware of are an OEM selling sewing machines with a very
unique interface, and a machine cutting brownies in a bakery. Believe
me, the lady running the brownie cutter would not understand the normal
mach screens, and I suspect linuxcnc's would be even less appealing.

>  I can't
> say for
> the work that Brian barker has done, but I was allowed to see the code
> of the
> driver that Art Fenerty created.  AWK -GAACK!

Art did a total re-write of the mach3 driver for mach4. It is an example
of the fresh start with several years experience. It has been running
for several months and has greatly extended the I/O support including
MPGs and encoders.

> Who is going to do the development?  If one has been steeped in the Windows
> world for years, Linux will be a strange environment to get used to and take
> some time to get productive.

Brian hired a full time developer with extensive cross platform
experience about a year ago. He has not been identified to the mach
world to enable him to stay focused on development not user support.

I dont mean to keep pushing mach here, but I will answer questions when
I know the answers.

ron ginger