On 08/24/2012 07:13 AM, Viesturs Lācis wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I looked at 7i37 manual, but did not find it explained:
> How am I supposed to connect input signal from source, whose ground is
> connected to 7i37 power supply ground? Is it sufficient to connect
> only the signal wire, or must I connect also GND? I could not find it
> anywhere, if GND on optoisolators' input side is isolated from power's
> GND or no.

I believe the inputs of the 7i37 are isolated from everything, including
power and ground.

Since the signal source is already connected to the same ground as the
7i37 power supply you could connect the signal source to the (+) pin of
the 7i37 input, and connect the (-) pin of the 7i37 input to power GND.

This assumes your signal source is capable of driving the input to the
minimum 4-volt signal level required by the 7i37 input. Some outputs do
a better job driving to ground than they do a positive voltage. In this
case, you could connect the (+) pin of the 7i37 input to +5V, and the
(-) pin of the 7i37 input to the signal source. You will have to use the
right hal output since the polarity will be inverted.

Karl