> <snip>

> We agreed that saving to a file will be done, when operator
> explicitly presses "save" button. So they are taking a risk that
> powerfailure will cause a loss of unsaved data. I just cannot figure
> out, how to create a reminder for operator to save data in case he/she
> is trying to close application with some unsaved numbers.
> <snip>

Cogoman's suggestion is the best here.

Do a file open, append line of data, file close with each reading.
THis is a trivial activity for the computer.

Then to satisfy the customer, have the save button copy the contents of
this "Shift" file to a final file.

That way, if there is a power failure (and the operator has not hit the
save button for 4 hours) and the customer calls you, you can tell them to
look for this "shift file" to get the data they thought long gone.

DUring a machine startup and or shut down, you can have the contents of the
file saved to the daily file then purge the "shift" file.

Brian