All-

I'm starting in the process of converting a Sieg SC2518 CNC lathe to
LinuxCNC control.  I'll be using Mesa hardware, 5i23+7i33+7i37 and have had
good experience with that in the past.  Incomplete in-process documentation
is here:

http://code.google.com/p/sector67-sandbox/wiki/SiegCNCLathe

If anyone has done a conversion like this I'd certainly appreciate any
advice.  More specifically, I have two questions with respect to the
encoder.  The machine is built with a 100 ppr Automation Driect TRD-S100BD
12-24V open collector encoder plus a magnetic reed switch that triggers
once per chuck revolution.  The encoder has a Z pulse but as it is on a
belt it will not fire once per chuck revolution, but some fraction of that.

I plan on integrating the spindle control to be able to thread, but I am
wondering if the Z pulse needs to be strictly once per chuck revolution or
if I could instead use the Z pulse directly from the encoder, which would
be a bit simpler.

Further, I am wondering the best way to interface a 12-24V open collector
encoder with the Mesa 7i33 servo control card.  I presume I would set the
jumpers for TTL mode, but then after doing so can I just connect the A/B or
conversely not A/not B?  I guess the question is are the encoder inputs in
TTL mode on the Mesa 7i33 pulled up to positive voltage.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Scott