Andy,

I have not seen such an arrangement. The ones I have
seen have the nut mounted in a carrier first.

Things to consider:

  Are the OD of the ball nut and the centerline of the
ball screw concentric? Some castings are offset to
help with mounting the return tubes.

  Is the OD perfectly round? The bearing that you
referenced is a very thin section and would easily
distort if the OD of the ball nut was out of round.

  How are you going to attach a pulley to rotate the
ball nut?

  You should be aware of lubrication issues. A spinning
nut tends to expel it own lubricant. The industrial
ones I have seen provide for lubricant feed into the
carrier holding the ball nut.

Steve Stallings