>>> Also, there are lots of TTL to USB and RS232 converters already
>>> assembled on Ebay - very cheap.
>>
>> Cheap until you check the shipping... :(

I've almost been caught out by this a few times - sometimes the shipping is
reasonable (or free), sometimes the shipping is more than the cost of the
item. It pays to read the fine print - especially when there are 10+
identical items with different shipping amounts listed.

> Nah, shipping is often free from HongKong; it just takes a while:

Oddly enough I've had more problems getting shipping from the US to the UK
than from Asia - Two parcels, ordered within a day of each other. The first
(from Mesa Electronics) arrived in 4 days. The day after I got the demand
from customs for duty - somewhat unusual (Usually customs here hold the item
for about a week, then send out (via second class post, which takes another
week) a demand for payment backdated to when it arrived in the country)

The second parcel (from another supplier) didn't arrive.... well, so I
thought - contacted the seller and got a refund. *Three months* later, it
arrives - checked the postmark - which was the day I ordered it, checked the
shipping method - USPS first class. Then resent the money to the supplier,
exchanged a few jokes about USPS and shrugged. No demand for payment from
customs on this one... yet.

Items from Asia usually take about 5 days (for small airmailed items) to 3
months (for larger items) - what happens when it hits customs is anybody's
guess.