On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> Has anyone cut any threads with g76 lately?

yes and I checked the change log looking for updates to see if any
changes were made

> I fired off a routine that 4 months back worked great, carving a 1/4-28
> thread for me several times last fall.  Tonight, without any changes in the
> .hal file that would affect threading ops, still set to make a 1/4-28 SAE
> thread, and it came out at about 24 tpi.  And I haven't a clue.  My encoder
> still has 39 slots. Etc, etc.  I am on the bleeding edge development
> branch.
>
> If someone could go cut a thread with this 2.6 code and check it for true
> tpi, it might help me find whatever dumb effect I've put into this in my
> spindle servo tuning.
>
> Thanks folks.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> --

I believe the docs need updating to show some problems inherent in the code

The acceleration and deceleration time is not mentioned in the docs
and also does it fire off an error
if the acceleration and deceleration is programmed IN your desired
thread drive line
also if you set your spindle at a speed where your Z needs to run at
or above its maximum velocity no error is given

I believe to get good threads with the current code run more slowly
and have a good entry and exit time

There is also a strange path seen when making a left hand thread with
an entry taper
I do a tool change, the next move is to the start point, except it
seems to have two parts to the move, the first going to the drive line
rather than the taper start.

Your question has made me say something before I did a bug report.

Dave Caroline