Can anyone tell me why it is so difficult to configure a G540 to run with a
5i25?

Chris Morley has done great work with pncconf.  But, I could not see how to
configure a g540 with a 5i25.

So, I got the latest linuxcnc source, downloaded and compiled today, ran
pncconf and still no luck.

Now, I have, in the past, gone through the HAL manual to add/change things,
but, come on, this is not something you expect normal, everyday people to do if
you want to run a mill with touch probe and mpg, with, cross fingers, maybe
spindle speed control.

Maybe I was expecting too much. Like, something more like plug and play, not
rocket science. This seriously is making me consider going to the dark side and
running - shudder - windows (first time since 1986) and purchasing Mach3 for my
CNC lathe.

Certainly, the week it has taken me to get absolutely nowhere with my mill, has
taught me a lesson here. The 5i25 is coming out of the mill computer, it seemed
to run linuxcnc just fine, but I thought I'd have the computers for mill and
lathe identical. Wrong.

Ah well, back to software stepping for the mill, and maybe the lathe will not
get CNC'd after all.

Sigh.

JohnS.