On Wednesday 23 January 2013 21:02:47 Stephen Dubovsky did opine:
Message additions Copyright Wednesday 23 January 2013 by Gene Heskett

> Gene,
> Nowhere does it specify in the graphic that the two HAVE to be separate.
> The drawing is arbitrary/universal and just showing which edges are used
> on which steps.  If you set the SEARCH_VEL reasonably high enough the
> machine must over travel the switch due to deceleration.  Have you
> tried setting your search velocity high enough that the over travel is
> greater than your backlash compensation?
>
> Stephen

No I haven't Stephan, because its backed up against the end of the
workpiece in the chuck in normal use, is a solid black of alu with a sheet
of double sided pcb materiel glued to the right face for the contact.  If I
hit it that hard and fast I would be crushing the pcb material.  So my
initial search is at about 2"/min, with a final search vel of about
.2/minute.  Repeatability is someplace in the 4th digit to the right of the
decimal point even with 23 thou of backlash.  So we aren't talking about a
switch at all, but a contact with hysteresis of perhaps .0001" max.

That backlash is going away, I now have a 16mmx5mmx675mm ball screw laying
on a chair cushion and am milling the rest of the parts to install it as I
sit here yakking.

And wonder of wonders, we actually have enough snow to turn the ground
white!  We are about 40" of rain or equ behind since last spring.

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 January 2013 15:59:55 Bruce Klawiter did opine:
> > Message additions Copyright Wednesday 23 January 2013 by Gene Heskett
> >
> > > I am curious, how does LinuxCNC back off of a limit switch?
> > > I have a bridgeport with hand wheels so it is easy for me, just
> > > wondering how this is done on the big machines.
> > >
> > > Bruce
> >
> > As shown in the gfx on the wiki under homing, there is an implicit
> > assumption that it is a mechanical switch, with a bit of hysteresis
> > space between the close and the open going the other way.  It's
> > fairly well explained, but the lack of hysteresis in an electrical
> > contact such as I am using, means I cannot set my backlashes for
> > total compensations, because the backlash takeup move may reopen the
> > contact, and its a show stopper error if the switch is already open
> > when the backup move starts.  I have x home working about 90% of the
> > time by setting backlash to half a thou in the .ini file for x on my
> > lathe, and around 3 thou less than real on my old sloppy z.  When x
> > works, it does all the motions in just a few milliseconds once the
> > initial contact has been made.  The old Z was the same except for the
> > 300 milliseconds the backlash moves of 20 thou take.

Cheers, Gene
My views
Onward through the fog.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...