Sebastian,

Thanks, I decided it was going to be easier to just upgrade to 2.5.

Regards,
Eric

I think I found the problem.  The wiki page you looked at is out of date -
it says at the top in bold to go look at this other page instead:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Installing_LinuxCNC

The new page links to a new install script
(http://linuxcnc.org/install-scripts/lucid/linuxcnc-install.sh) that tries
to install linuxcnc 2.5 for you, which is not what you want.

But if you download the new script and open it in your favourite text editor
and change the two places where it says "linuxcnc2.5" to "emc2.4", then
change the "apt-get install" line so it installs "emc2" instead of
"linuxcnc", it should work, and should get the correct python packages for
emc 2.4 on lucid.

This is what I think from looking at the script, but I haven't tried it!
Let us know if it work.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky