Wesley,

For those basic functions, could you just use linuxcncrsh (emcrsh prior to
version 2.5), see:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Linuxcncrsh

Regards,
Eric

Brief background: EPICS is a basically a client-server framework for
cross-platform distributed controls.  The server-side provides variables
that clients can read/write too.  The variables can store data or act as
triggers.

Currently, I'm testing/learning linuxcnc with a 3-axis mill for proof of
principle.  But our goal is to build a hexapod that's fully integrated with
our EPICS controls, that's where I come in.  One of my colleagues posted a
design sim here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nSfLRaEPEE&list=UU7zkQp-M-_i3c498p9MGWmA&in
dex=1

In the end, the most used controls would likely be jog, jog speed, and
homing.  Most of the configuration would be considered experts only and
setup ahead of time.