On 3/25/2013 9:56 AM, Bjørn wrote:
> <snipping off previous discussion> now i have tested: boot with isolcpu(big
> improvement in general latency but still spikes)
>    turn of smi, (improvement in general latency but still spikes)
> 'idle=poll' and 'nohlt'(little or no effect)
>
> acpi = off and api=off (little or no effect)
>
> For the moment i have been running the system for 1,5 hour and have -
> servothread interval 999655 and max jitter 4495 ns - base thread interval
> 32069 max jitter 7190.
>
> witch i am very happy with, but if i run for several hours i still get spikes
> up to 50000 and above.
> i suspect Michael are right, the problem is related toidle/powersave states.
>
> I have no settings in bios to turn of ACPI
> my bios is: MWNT10N.86A.0083.2011.0524.1600
> is this the same as others are running? and do you have option to turn off
> ACPI from bios?

Bjørn:

I don't have an Intel D525MW in my stable of motherboards but I do have
an ASUS AT5NM10-I whose numbers I posted last year to the table of
latency-test results in the Wiki. Your "pre-spike" numbers are
reasonably consistent with the numbers I got. The "best" numbers I
posted were obtained with hyperthreading turned off in the BIOS and
isolcpus=1 set in the boot parameters. Nothing heroic. I did my tests
long before list discussions brought out the importance of other
parameter settings like idle=poll. In recent shortterm tests, I also
have not seen dramatic improvements manipulating these parameters.

Testing this ASUS board, I haven't seen the kinds of spikes you are
experiencing. (Just for the record, I was testing LinuxCNC over 10.04LTS
with the RTAI kernel).

I'm curious to know what all is attached to your motherboard, especially
anything attached via USB. I once had a motherboard that started
misbehaving when I switched from a PS/2 mouse to a USB mouse and a
number of us have seen the simple act of plugging in a USB thumbdrive
cause bursts in latency numbers. Is it possible you have a peripheral
interface/device that is waking up on the same time scale as the
occurrence of your spikes?

My system guy never failed to ask if the computer were plugged to a live
outlet as his first step in diagnosing problems. Obviously your computer
is plugged in but how are the power supply and the AC mains? Adequate,
stable, clean?

Regards,
Kent