Wesley Moore wrote:
> I'm trying to answer a couple of general questions that don't seem like an
> easy find on the wiki, etc.  Yes I know there are many contributing factors
> involved on accurate answers, so a rough ballpark is all I'm looking for.
>
> Without additional hardware:
> How many encoder counts per second can be handled?

Up to 1/2 the frequency of your base_thread is absolutely safe.
Approaching the base_thread frequency should be OK, but you need
to leave headroom for errors in the encoder and timing jitter on the
computer.  You don't want to risk overrunning the encoder counter
or it will miss counts.
> What is the PWM frequency range available?

PWM frequency is limited by resolution.  If the Base thread is running
at 20 KHz, then a 10 KHz square wave can be generated, or a 5 KHz
PWM wave with 0, 25, 50, 75 or 100% duty cycle.  If you want greater
resolution of the duty cycle, you have to reduce the PWM frequency.
> Same questions with additional hardware (Mesa, etc) and the estimated add-on
> cost?

The Pico Systems PWM controller has a 40 MHz clock for the PWM
generator, so it adjusts PWM output in 25 ns steps.  At 50 KHz, it
has a resolution of one part in 800.  It can count encoder pulses
approaching 1, 2.5, 5 or 10 MHz.  (I say approaching, as there is
almost no sampling time jitter, but you still need to leave a margin
for timing variations from the encoder.)  (For those familiar with
this product, yes, this is a new feature, switch-selectable encoder
filter rate.)  The 4-axis PWM controller is $250, and includes the
encoder counters, PWM generators, 15 opto-isolated digital inputs,
positions for 8 solid state relays of your choice, and and an E-stop
circuit.  An additional board can be added to the same parallel port
to handle 4 more axes.  A $50 DAC can be added to control the
spindle speed, laser power or whatever.

Jon