The whole point is that I don't have any feedback from steppers at this stage,
and as I said, the "cheapest" solution would be to simply change the existing
one with the one with closed loop "future" (and also drivers). So the basic
idea might be to use In-Position signal (output) from stepper driver and when
this goes fault, it triggers "following error" in linuxcnc.
Could this work?

Anyone using this stepper system from kelinginc?

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/nema23-closed-loop-stepper-motor-system-hybrid-servo-kit/hybrid-servo-drive-kl-5080h