I'm getting my little Unimat CNC lathe going, and am doing axis running
tests; right now working on the Z axis (carriage movement)

The X axis stepper is sitting idle, the Z axis stepper is running back and
forth. It is really hot to the touch, and one can smell hot insulation.
>From what I calculated, this NEMA-11 stepper motor has a motor voltage of
about 68 volts, running it on 48 volts. (the X axis stepper is slightly
smaller)

When it was just sitting, the motor was hot to the touch. From reading this
list, one might think that running the motor might actually keep it cooler.

Anybody know why one stepper motor would be overheating?

(10mm/sec step rate, not overly fast)

Yours truly, letting things cool off before trying anything else;

John A. Stewart.