On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 2:21 AM, Gregg Eshelman <g_ala...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Perfect... if I hadn't forgotten the password to the computer. D'oh! Oh
> well, just boot off the disk and nuke-n-pave with a fresh install and this
> time choose a password I know I won't forget... password. When it's all set
> up and configured, I'll make a backup copy of the config so if something
> does get screwed up it'll be easy to put it back in order.
>
> Once this thing is working, I'm putting a sign on it saying DO NOT ALTER
> OR UPDATE THE SOFTWARE ON THIS SYSTEM UNDER PAIN OF DEATH.

Next time you forget your password, boot an Ubuntu install disk (dunno if
you can do this with the liveCD, but maybe you can mount the machine's /
partition) and bring up the boot in the repair mode.  Mount the / partition
and edit the /etc/shadow file.  You'll probably have to use vi, since there
is no windowing program running.  Delete all the characters between the
first and second colon on the account you've forgotten.  Save file and
reboot to normal mode.  The account you have forgotten the password for
will now no longer have a password.  You can set your password using the
passwd command once you log in.

I've had to do that over the years with Solaris systems where the previous
admins had either forgotten the root password, or in a bit of a huff when
they left didn't change it.  Works on Ubuntu too.

Mark