On 30 June 2013 14:11, Michael Haberler <mai...@mah.priv.at> wrote:
> there's something different at work, namely a rather high ranking of
> stability and quality of support being the overriding driving factor. While
> that clearly is a more commendable explanation,
> unfortunately the effect is similar: the focus on a single technical aspect -
> quality at a given point in time - drives other aspects into the background -
> for instance: even if it is not 100%
> ready for use, is it an important or at least first step into a new (and
> eventually important) direction.

I think that there is possibly too much of an expectation that "Master
must never be broken", but at the same time I can see why that is seen
as important, because a lot of people routinely run it. (including
me).

I have always been of the opinion that creating a new branch was a
mistake (and, to be honest, the times I have done that it has
definitely been both a mistake and an accident). Having talked to folk
at Wichita I am now seeing that this was largely a problem with my
understanding of how things are meant to work, and I very much expect
to be pushing a new (and explicitly, knowingly broken) tooltable
branch this week.

Part of my misunderstanding might stem from the fact that JA3 has been
stuck in a separate, unmerged, branch for all the time that I have
been involved. I haven't noticed anything from an experimental branch
get merged. I may not have been watching at the right time. I can see
an argument for deleting (or tagging) branches that got merged. (and
possibly for tagging the "rejected/superceeded" branches.

To merge threads, is it possible to set up a multi-level access to our
Git server, where almost anyone can create a new branch, people like
me can create a branch or push to master, and the folk who actually
know what they are doing can push to the release branches?

I don't think we need to migrate to Github to make ourselves more open
to contributions, I just think we need to make it clearer how to
contribute. (and to make it harder to lose contributions, and, as a
consequence, the contributors).

Case in point:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/4043/focus=4239
The current 2-ratio gearchange component is rather limited (and not
just in the sense it only supports two gears). I know of at least
three better versions that have been passed by.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.