We had a Data General Super Nova and an ASR33.
The big problem with the card reader was the sweat from my hands, as I recall.
I eventually had to wear gloves and just handle the cards by their edges.
Didn't seem to affect other people, though. Maybe they didn't sweat in
anticipation of those dreaded read errors and the endless debugging of daft
typing errors.
At the time, I was working on producing developments of interpenetration joints
on oil rig legs, before CAD had been invented. The output was a screenshot,
taken with a Kodak camera in a special lightproof hood which took a B&W picture
of the (small) screen. I still have the written up thesis with yellowing
photos. Seems like a trivial problem now...

Marcus