On 5 August 2013 18:34, Sven Wesley <svenne.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As you might know (according to recent mail activity) I'm going to build a
> new machine. My plan is to use a mesa card setup and the machine will
> support 5 axis, but I will start with three... ...I think. This is where my
> need of decision support comes in. I have always used servo's even on
> smallest machines. But when I look at the stepper setups, they are like
> half price even if I go with beefy motors.

My experience with steppers is limited, but the small NEMA 23s are
quite nice, however the bigger NEMA23s became noticeably more
"sluggish" which rather counted against the increased torque as far as
performance was concerned.
I can imagine that the big stepper motors continue this trend, and get
stronger but more ponderous.

Having built a stepper machine initially I decided on a servo machine
for the second build, and have so far not regretted it. Just the
repeatability of index-homing is a big plus to me.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.