I bought this tool changer from a guy who slaughtered a VMC.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5550/10027456456_2434844618_c.jpg
There is a vid here with the changer before he took it down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Smt54Ehh3k

It has a pneumatic cylinder that locks the carousel when a TC occours, but
there's nothing that holds the arm itself. On top of that there is a
dampener in the end position that pushes the arm away if no force is
applied. This leads me to believe that the motor that rotates the arm
probably has some kind of holding current when a TC happens. Maybe in the
resting position too. To complicate it even further, the end stop switch
(approx sensor) is triggered before the dampener even touches the arm. I
have an idea that the end switch tells the controller to go from moving to
holding and the last centimetres are done with the energy of the arm itself.
Possible?

/Sven