Bruce -
Although LCNC could be made to do "work", as a theatrical lighting
designer by trade, I'd lean towards using DMX control technologies - and
there are plenty of hackable devices out there that can work. True, a
custom PIC solution would be quite satisfactory, but then the asset
would be strictly tuned for that production. Some years ago it would
have been rather difficult to do this at all at the high school level,
(price prohibitive), but you can probably do this now within a very
reasonable budget. Budget $$$ of course depend on what you're willing to
trade for time and development - if your engineer is discounting his dev
time, that may be the less costly.

But here's a thought (for discussion, it's certainly not the only one!)
- if you don't have a lighting console already for your stage lighting,
there are "openDMX" compatible devices for <$100 you can use
open/low/no-cost software on a laptop or recycled PC to drive. This can
get you a [very capable] lighting console, even if it just runs the
effects cues. (As an "old-school" designer, unless you have a top-shelf
console, I'd recommend keeping effects separate from main stage
lighting, anyway). Regardless, you program and execute sequences of cues
on the PC, it spits out a DMX signal, and you then run it to the
chandelier, either across 3-pin mic cable (easy) or even wireless if you
wish. Check out http://www.chamsys.co.uk and enttec.com for inspiration
- I actually use a ChamSys MagicQ system on my laptop in live
production, it's quite pro-level capable, not just a toy! (I also use
GrandMA's and Hogs, but that's another discussion entirely).

On the set piece, you mention LED pods, spark emitters and the shake
table. And a 12v battery. Do you plan on keeping the power on-board the
set piece? Growing up in Toronto, I'm rather familiar with the use of
the chand in Phantom, (it had only occasional use) so you may get away
with something smaller than a car battery on board, but your run time
will be limited. If you want the lighting to be "often on" you may be
looking at either stage-side power or more batteries on board.
There are plenty of purpose-built and aftermarket DMX-LED drivers or
DMX-Relay drivers out there - these would easily take care of the
lighting and sparkers. The only "safe" sparkers that come to mind were
carbide wheels; these are small motors with a carbide wheel and a flint
attached - akin to the sparking mech on a lighter, but bigger - and I
cannot for the life of me remember who used to make them commercially. I
do recall they took 6-24vdc input natively and it was just a
set-and-forget kind of thing. A jacobs or kelvin-type sparker (high
voltage based) may not be "approved" by your school board. :-(  A google
search may turn up plans or inspiration to make some. Being Halloween
season, it may be an opportunity...look for fun house / haunted house
supplies...

You don't mention where you're based, but here's two companies I deal
with on a regular basis:
http://www.northlightdmx.com/  and
http://www.bpesolutions.com/dmxproduct.html (some of their products
actually overlap).

If you do a search for "DMX decoder" on aliexpress.com you will find all
sorts of asian-based suppliers you can purchase similar items from
rather inexpensively and in low quantities. The tradeoff is typically
shipping time. (I like Ray Wu / Shenzhen Rita Tech, but there's lots of
good suppliers).

Your engineering support may be best utilized in developing the mech to
operate the shake table on the chand; speed and mass together usually
demand higher energies, so you will likely have to get creative with how
you generate that action; while a linear actuator or heavy duty r/c
servo may be mechanically simpler, it may not get you the action you
need. You may have to develop a dc motor with a cam/arm assembly to
"make it believable". (I noted these three devices specifically as there
are DMX-"these things" drivers commercially available off-the-shelf.)

IF you need the wireless experience, the cost of 2.4ghz wireless DMX
"icicles" has come down to very reasonable levels - and in your
environment, I'd have no problem [using] wireless for automation control
(it's described as a known non-human-interaction space, and you can have
additional channels or even a car-remote deadman switch for the
automation if you want to get creative, so a robust safety protocol
could be implemented very easily). The devices I use on a regular basis
are these:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-global-free-license-2-4GHz-frequency-band-Wireless-DMX-Controller-LED-Lighting-Transmitter-Receiver/942073006.html

Here is where I do responsibly recommend going at this automation task
with safety, safety, safety in mind. I'll even do pyro over DMX, but
it's not just a "fire" channel - typically there's a prefire sequence,
an arming enable and then the fire - if any of these get missed, the
device does not fire. In many cases it's like a combination lock; two
channels need to be on with one off, then the arming channel is turned
on, then the fire channel is engaged. That's 5 channels, but it's the
best use of channels I've had when more intelligent pyro controllers are
not available. On easier things like confetti cannons, for instance, an
arming and a fire channel are really all that's necessary - only when
both channels are on does something happen - they don't need to be
consecutive, just kept mentally separate (example with the confetti
cannon: the fire was an r/c servo on a cam to engage the trigger, but
the arm channel was actually a relay that controlled the power to the
servo. If "fire" was triggered nothing would happen. Arm and fire had to
happen for it to go off.) These methods typically preclude an operator
from accidentally triggering a device by mis-programming or being in the
wrong mode, as well as lost or noisy signals generating false control
data, and to act as a hands-off when techs are preparing or loading the
devices. It is amazing how often a single effect channel (like fog)
accidentally gets included in a cue or a chase due to a typo....

Regardless of which path you take, it will be important to set time
aside to "play" - whether that be learning a lighting console, or
debugging timing on your PIC device. Consider the amount of time or need
to implement cue changes - a PC on the ground may be more comfortable to
make late changes or experiments with than having to break out the PIC
programmer....

As one last sell point, the DMX modules you'd get would be rather
generic - that means you have a generic asset that could be used in the
future. I don't want to undersell the potential experience of the
students getting involved in the electronics of developing on a PIC, but
you may get better response from the budget folks if you can develop and
teach a theatre-centric technology experience.

Regards,

Ted.