> I am trying to figure out the best way to "drive" LinuxCNC from a C++
> program.

> This program would receive general commands from the user, something
> like: "execute procedure 1" and translate this into telling LinuxCNC to
> open a specific file and run the G-code therein.

If you are using Linuxcnc to control a CNC machine in the normal manner,
but just want to be able to make it run a program from another
application, axis-remote could be the simplest method from a system() call

There is even an Axis hack and modified axis-remote here
http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/38-general-linuxcnc-questions/26061-automated-change-nc-program-possible#28920

which I wrote to allow a program to be loaded and then run remotely.

This was for someone who wanted to be able to script the generation of G
Code to engrave incrementing serial numbers and then output it to Axis
and automatically run the program.

You can write programs in C++ which directly control everything, I wrote
Qt libraries which do that, but it is non trivial and depending upon
what you wish to achieve, perhaps not necessary

If you want to dig into it, look at the sources for xemc, halui &
halcmd.  They will uncover most of the calls and show how they are used

regards