On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 08:22:26 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've often wondered how well a rotary table would work if driven by a
>reasonably stiff timing belt. Say 1" urethane with steel fibers.
>Gearing would be approx 5:1 and then a reducer if necessary to couple to
>the servo motor. Encoder would be mounted on an idler wheel driven by
>the 1" belt. I use a similar encoder setup on the Z axis of my mill and
>it seems to give rather good control at ~ 100K counts/inch. ;-)
>
>Has anyone tried this or something similar and what were the results.
>Stiff enough? Accurate enough? Of course everyone's definition of
>adequate is different but was it good enough to be usable?

Timing belts will work accuracy wise on positioning, but stopping
cutting forces being directly passed back to the drive is a problem.

That's why worm and pinion type gearing is used, and you have to be
careful with that. I did some development work using worm and pinion
gearboxes and under 30:1 it was possible to back drive the input shaft.
Over that they were self locking.

Steve Blackmore