On Friday 06 December 2013 13:57:04 Florian Rist did opine:

> Hi David
>
> > iv'e try'd copper and even with 600w + it's difficult to even mark it
>
> Yes, 600W is not enough. That's why a q-switched laser with short pulses
> is needed. Pulse peek energy on my laser is 25 kW, that's still not
> enough, the one on the mentioned laser was about 1 MW. This instantly
> turns the coper into plasma. Its not melting not vaporising it, it tuns
> a very thin layer into plasma within less than a ns. This process is
> very controlled an would allow to remove the 35 mµ of coper in multiple
> paths without heating the FR4 and without hardly removing any of it.
>
> cu
> Flo

Humm, thats beginning to sound like non-exportable munitions. Not to
mention eyeball wreckers just from the reflections off the surrounding
walls. :( Bad idea for someone not well versed in the tech.

Cheers, Gene

Everything is possible.  Pass the word.
                -- Rita Mae Brown, "Six of One"
         law-abiding citizens.