On 12/10/2013 4:55 PM, Stephen Dubovsky wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got an Erickson QC30 on my Bridgeport CNC mill.
>> R8 does not maintain any accurate Z reference after a tool change.
>>
> Why?  R8 uses a taper angle of 16.85deg.  NMTB/QC30 uses 16.5943deg [both
> from wikipedia].  Both of them the taper face is the gauge line (they don't
> seat on a flat face or anything.)  Both have 1.25" max taper diameters.
> They are basically identical.  So if you can get repeatable pull/torque
> both should seat just as repeatably.
>
> SMD

Oops..  you are exactly correct.   I was thinking about something else.
   Thanks for the correction.

I was happy to get the Ericson spindle on my Bridgeport since I didn't
want to have to climb to the top to get to a drawbar.

Being able to stay on the floor is an advantage and no need for a power
drawbar.  One less thing to screw up.

Dave