On Wednesday 11 December 2013 08:42:36 andy pugh did opine:

> On 11 December 2013 12:25, Leonardo Marsaglia
>
> <leonardomarsagli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know this is due to torque but I don't know how to compensate this.
> > If I use low speed on the way up theres almost no vibration.
>
> The PID component has a "bias" parameter which might help. I use it on
> the Z of my knee-mill.

My mind was thinking along the lines of a phase lag in the feedback that
might be alleviated with a faster servo_thread, something to try if the
bias doesn't do it.

Too much DGain in the pid settings could make that worse too.  With the
lags of a pwm conversion, and a near 20 lb chuck on my lathe, I can't run
but a small fraction of DGain without an accel overshoot oscillation and a
long settling time as it dies out.  Add another .002 and it will never
settle.  Currently 0.00 for IGain, Dgain, and FF2 and running well, good
control at speeds above 20 rpm, and very stiff at 200 and up.

But I am running a velocity servo, whereas this s/b a position servo,
tuning will obviously be different.

Bias may not help a cogging motor that will tickle things at higher speeds,
and increasing the bandwidth of the feedback system by raising the
servo_thread speed might be something to try.

Taking the servo_thread down to 500000 on my lathe made a night and day
difference in the apparent "noise" out of my spindle encoder, a 50 slot,
200 edge ABZ device I made.

Cheers, Gene

Linux: Where Don't We Want To Go Today?
                -- Submitted by Pancrazio De Mauro, paraphrasing some well-
known sales talk
         law-abiding citizens.