I struggled in the last couple of weeks to get some more out of the BBB +
LinuxCNC setup, mainly the display part was suboptimal.

my setup
-----------

bbb connected through the USB (and eth tunnelled over that - 192.168.7.2) to a
laptop (192.168.7.1).

1. laptop running Linux

There were some performance issues with running AXIS (especially the OpenGL
part).
Here are some comments from jepler which improve things:
{[01:04:32]} <jepler> this makes it use the glx wire protocol instead: sudo
chmod 000 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/swrast_dri.so
{[01:14:15]} <jepler> changing the task timeout to 10ms instead of 1ms knocks
milltask way down
{[01:14:45]} <jepler> ssh encryption takes 30% CPU
{[01:27:26]} <jepler> this seems to be a bit lighter on the CPU: ssh -X -o
"Ciphers=arcfour" linuxcnc@192.168.7.2

2. laptop running Win

I played around with a couple X servers (Cygwin/X, Mingw+X, Xming) but the best
results I got with Xming-mesa.
For Xming-mesa I still had to have the swrast_dri.so accessible (sudo chmod 644
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/swrast_dri.so) in order for things to work.

here’s a short video how it works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuE1JWFbbOU

There is a prebuilt image available for download here:
http://webshop.juve.ro/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=7

The image contains the latest Machinekit I got from Charles, and can be written
directly to a SD card with dd.
On the image (in the fat partition) there are some additional programs
installed:
- Xming-mesa server (run-in-place version)
- putty
- a simple batch file (start.bat) which starts up the X server, connects to the
BBB, and starts the LinuxCNC config picker

Hope this helps someone else out there

Alex

<<wlEmoticon-winkingsmile[1].png>>