This sounds like an impressive setup. I'm not familiar with the KL-8082H
particularly, so it's hard to say if having the drivers handle the feedback
would be better than piping it through linuxcnc. My assumption is that if
the drivers already handle it, you'd get the benefit of their controller /
tuning, potentially saving some effort.

In terms of controlling motion proportional to spindle load, you may
actually be able to do that already if you have a spindle encoder.  If your
spindle motor's speed varies in proportion to the load applied, then you
could used spindle-synchronized motion to reduce the feed rate if the motor
speed drops. I imagine a grinding wheel of a decent size would have enough
inertia that you could use a relatively low-resolution encoder, or even an
index pulse.