I have been traveling to China for many years and know many of the
machine tool factories around the Shanghai area including the one who
makes the Tormach machines. I have a long time friend in the machine
tool business over there who knows all of the factories and who makes
what for who. None of them produce the whole machine - they are all
"integrators" using parts produced by other component factories. There
are companies who make the castings, companies who make the sheet metal,
companies who make all of the other components, and even shopping malls
where you can go and buy components. Their are even factories who do
nothing but make carousel tool changers. The Chinese domestic market is
so large that that type of distributed manufacturing is viable for
products like this.

I don't personally have any problem with Chinese products, provided that
you find the right factories. Chinese manufacturing has come a long ways
in the last 20 years.

It may be true that Tormach designed the casting, although I don't see
much need to as there are many existing slug designs. They probably did
design the sheet metal. But the spindle, belts, pulleys, electronics,
motors, ball screws, couplers, linear rails, and bearings - you know all
of the components that actually function - are almost certainly all
off-the-shelf Chinese components. If they were using brands like IKO or
THK - surely they'd brag about that (using Japanese parts instead - LOL).

There are actually some really nice Chinese controllers being produced
for cheap, so why they are still using Mach3 is beyond me. And here is a
fun fact: If the Chinese factories want even better quality, they
actually import components from Taiwan, which has about a 40 year lead
over Chinese manufacturing technology.

Again, I don't have a problem with Chinese components myself. But the
question I have is... if you find a quality Chinese integrator and
specify the way the machines must be built, tested, and to what
tolerances they must meet - does that then make it an American product?
I guess if you think the iPhone is an American product because Apple
designed the skin around which the Chinese components are housed, then
yes. But that would make Mach3 on Windows the equivalent of iTunes on
iOS, which may not be that much of a stretch - haha.